- Milan is one of the more popular Italy destinations, and can readily be incorporated into a Custom Tour. Some of the highlights of this northern city are the great Gothic Duomo di Milano (Cathedral of Milan), the Pinacoteca di Brera (the main public art gallery), and Leonardo da Vinci’s Last Supper.
My partner and spouse, Larry, took this photo while visiting Milan for a gathering of travel professionals. The cathedral looks especially stunning since the 2009 completion of a large-scale restoration and cleaning.
The Cathedral of Milan, one of the largest in the world, can be visited again and again. Explore the intricate details of the exterior, the spectacular stained glass that adorns the interior, and check out the Cathedral Treasury. Located in the Crypt, the treasury is home to a wonderful collection of Medieval and Romanesque art. Take a roof walk and view the pinnacles and statues up close and personal! Then enjoy the breath-taking view of the city below.
A visit to the Brera Museum was another highlight. A few are posted here and more in our photo files on our Facebook Page.
- Mantegna’s Dead Christ
Learn more about the work above: Smart History: Mantegna’s Dead Christ
- The Three Archangels by Marco d’Oggiono in a room at the Brera
- And at the monastery of Santa Maria delle Grazie, Leonardo’s Last Supper . . .
- Leonardo da Vinci’s Last Supper covers one wall in the refectory (dining room) of the monastery, Santa Maria Delle Grazie in Milan. In 1652, for some reason, a doorway was cut into this wall. Though it has since been walled up, the odd intrusion into the painting remains. For further insight into Leonardo’s masterpiece, see this excellent brief video: http://smarthistory.khanacademy.org/leonardo-last-supper.html
- And finally, discover dining with the locals! On his last trip, Larry discovered a restaurant a couple of blocks away from the Duomo, fairly well hidden from the usual tourist trails. And it was delightful! He just might be convinced to share his secret.
- For more information, please call us at 800.498.8915 or email us at email@example.com. We would be happy to chat with you!
- For more on how we create custom tours of Italy, see our earlier post, Creating a Custom Tour. More of our “Exploring Possibilities” blog posts can be found here on the right sidebar under “Recent Posts.”
- Or fill out the contact form below and click “Submit.” We will respond promptly.